A zip self-extractor is a program that is attached to a zip file to
allow the contents to be extracted without using a zip file reader such as
Zipfocus or Winzip™. Self-extractors are often used to distribute software.
In this case, files may be extracted into a temporary folder before a command is issued to initiate program installation.
When installation is complete (or when the computer is restarted) the temporary folder is deleted.
Zip self-extractor programs are often called SFXs. They may also be called stub programs since they do not usually do anything useful unless attached to a zip file.
- Zipfusion can be used with any zip tools that create type 0/8/9 (stored/deflate/deflate64) format zip files.
- User Account Control (UAC) is fully supported on Windows Vista.
Administrator privileges can be demanded immediately, on extraction, or on execution of a command (such as starting an installer). A second command can be executed with standard privileges when the first is complete.
- Appearance and behaviour are controlled using a text file that is embedded in the zip file (but not extracted).
- An editor/tester/builder is included to facilitate the development process.
Primary configuration values can be set using a graphical user interface whilst advanced values are set using the integrated text editor.
- When creating setup programs, files can be extracted into a temporary folder.
When a temporary folder is used, extraction can be started automatically.
Temporay folders can be deleted when the setup program finishes or when Windows is restarted.
- When extraction is complete Zipfusion can open any program or document of your choice.
- Zipfusion includes three self-extracting stub programs.
The Microlight stub is ~42KB. The File Extractor and Installer stub programs are ~110KB. ¹
- The File Extractor and Installer stub programs are highly versatile and support many behavioural and visual options.
These stub programs also supports language files. Any number can be embedded - the actual one used can be selected automatically according to the user's locale. Button sizes and dialog layout, etc. are automatically adjusted.
- The Microlight stub program, whilst much smaller, still has many features including allowing button captions and text
labels to be adjusted.
It also supports the features for setup programs discussed above including UAC.
- All stub programs permit an icon to be installed.
All icon types and sizes are supported.
- Zipfusion is free if used for non-commercial purposes.
Also see License Conditions and Registration.
- In addition to an interactive editor/tester/builder, Zipfusion also supports command-line access to its build functions. This allows it to be used on servers to dynamically build self-extractors on demand.
- If you have special requirements, these can often be accomodated - contact Cathonian Software
Smaller sizes can be achieved using upx to compress the stub programs.
Stub programs are supplied without icons.